Girls basketball: Sam Rayburn hosts Memorial in district showdown
Pasadena Memorial fell victim to Deer Park to end the first half of district play 2-3, three games behind the Lady Deer, who had a perfect 5-0 mark, and one game from falling out of playoff contention.
But as the Lady Mavericks showed in that loss to Deer Park, they're still a dangerous team capable of pulling off a big win, and they'll have to play inspired against the resurgent Lady Texans.
Rayburn and Dobie were tied for second in district when they met to end the first round of District 22-5A play.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Pasadena Memorial vs. Sam Rayburn
• When: 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 1
• Where: Sam Rayburn High School gym
• What's at stake: Sam Rayburn has its eye on making the playoffs for the first time since the 1996-97 campaign, but with that season-long goal well within reach at this point, its success-starved players are starting to think more about winning a district championship. To make that dream a reality, the Lady Texans have to keep winning and hope the Lady Deer stumble down the stretch.
• Memorial players to watch: G Jessica Elkins, PG Lisa Gale, P Clare Snelson, F Desirae Ramirez
• Rayburn players to watch: G Maeghan Scott, P/F Felise Otabor, F/P Aracely Gomez, G/F Jenna Zayed
• Memorial: Memorial may have some payback in mind after falling to Rayburn for the first time in three years on Jan. 14. Even worse for the Lady Mavericks, Rayburn scored the most points it had ever scored against them in a 73-55 victory. … Deer Park beat Memorial 55-47 on Jan. 21. The Lady Deer bench outscored the Memorial reserves 19-3, led by Lyndsie LeBlanc, who had nine points. Lisa Gale had a game-high 16 points for the Lady Mavericks, who were doomed by their low-scoring third quarter.
• Rayburn: Aracely Gomez led the Lady Texans against Memorial with 19 points, 10 rebounds and four steals in the first round of district. Jenna Zayed added 12 points and Maeghan Scott had eight points, seven assists and nine steals. … Rayburn picked up a 66-61 victory at South Houston to follow up its big win over Memorial. Rayburn led 37-28 at halftime. Scott had a game-high 20 points, Michelle Cantu added 14 and Gomez and Zayed had 11 points apiece.
Local Advertising by PaperG